Friday, April 13, 2007

So long...

Today was my teaching assistant's last day. Mrs. Ward has been in the school system for a long time, and finally had enough. She told me in January that she was going to start using up her sick and personal days, and when they were gone, so was she. Well, she meant it! We found out about 2 weeks ago that today would be it for her. I have her in class with me 2 periods, and my students wanted to do something for her. She's usually very cranky with them, but they know she cares. So, I had about 30 students and staff in my classroom 8th period today, having a going-away party for Mrs. Ward. The kids made her a card, and we all signed it. We took lots of pictures, and had a good time. I don't know who (if anyone) is going to replace her - I haven't heard a thing from administration about the job. I have heard from 4 other assistants that they put in for the position, so we'll see what happens.

On a sillier, slightly aggravating note - We have 2 new copiers in the building. Wait, amend that - we have 2 copiers in the building that work. Most of the copying has to go through the office staff - you put in your originals at least 24 hours in advance, and the office secretaries copy it for you. Not the best system in the world, especially if you need something copied at the last minute. The other copiers around the building are dinosaurs, and usually don't work. So, a couple months ago, we got 2 new copiers for 'emergencies'. We aren't supposed to use these copiers for big jobs - just the occasional job here and there.

OK, no problem. I have 16 students in my small group classes. I never make tons of copies - don't need to. I have used the new copiers. Everyone has. We have to put in the last 4 digits of our SSN to use the copiers. Today, I was told I was overusing the copiers, having made (ready for this?) 758 copies last month! I haven't made that many copies all year! Now, I'm on the copier police list. Evidently, if you don't log out of the copier when you're done (very possible I've neglected this on more than one occasion) then the next person, if they come in within a few minutes, can merrily copy away on your dime. Not cool.

I'm so glad this school year is almost over. This petty stuff gets old.

No comments: